How to Organize Your Closet For Summer
Summer is here!
With warmer temps and sunny days, clothing needs have changed and it is a good idea to take some time to transition your wardrobe, so you have more time for what you love to do in the glorious, long days of summer! Follow these quick organizing tips to get your closet refreshed and ready for summertime fun!
Does your closet look like this?! It's hard to find and put together your favorite summer outfits when all your winter items are mixed in and there is no organizing system in place. First Step - Take ALL fall and winter garments out of your closet. That means sweaters, jackets, accessories (hats, gloves, scarves), winter boots and anything wool and a heavier weight. Most importantly, remove anything that you know you will not wear for the next three months.
Next arrange like with like. Hang all pants together and group jeans together, then lightweight pants, etc. Group blazers, blouses, short sleeve tops, skirts, dresses. Group sandals, summer flats, sneakers, etc.
Now take your closet to the next level and color code. Within the clothing groups of pants, shirts, etc., put all white shirts together, then black and so on. This step will make it a snap to get ready in the morning and make your closet look organized and beautiful!
If you did not do a spring closet purge, now is a great time to do it! With your summer closet organized, color coded and edited, it is much easier to see duplicates, pieces that don’t fit properly, items that were gifts that you don’t love, or clothing that has seen better days. Remove anything that you no longer need or love!
Now that your summertime closet is organized, edited and ready for fun, what about all the fall and winter items?
- First, sort your winter items. Group like with like and put all sweaters together, winter jackets, accessories, etc.
- Toss, donate or consign anything that you no longer need or love.
- It is important to store items properly to make sure they do not get damaged by moths or have stains set over the next few months. Properly clean anything items that need it by washing or dry cleaning.
- Store wool items in breathable bags with cedar. We like these breathable bags from The Container Store 1 | 2 as well as these cedar products from The Container Store 1 | 2 | 3
- Store shoes in shoe boxes in which they originally came or we like these very affordable options from The Container Store 1 | 2
- Now it is time to put away all your fall and winter garments. It is ideal if you have another closet in your home in which you can make space to store your off-season wardrobe and switch it out in spring and fall. A smaller closet in a guest room or office can work well.
- If your main closet is the only option, no problem! Hang winter items in the corners and harder to reach locations in your closet. Store off season shoe boxes stacked behind in season shoes. Stack sweaters in out of reach corners. Reserve the prime real estate of your closet for your in-season wardrobe so all garments are visible and easy to access.
We hope these tips on how to organize your closet have helped you create a summer wardrobe that is organized, inspiring, makes you feel amazing and is easily accessible!
Have a wonderful summer!